Hey, can I get a jazz riff — New York style please?
I’m excited to announce that “The Protected Airway Course” now has a home, and the first of the teaching modules are coming online. Our annual Airway & Difficult Procedure Course lasts only two days (and is only available for our EM residents, critical care and PEM fellows) but this learning is 100% FOAM certified, farm to table fresh. And it’s available anytime!
In the coming months we will be translating airway knowledge from our experts around the EM and critical care world and posting it here for you to enjoy. We’re hard at work creating engaging, innovative, interactive tools to teach key topics in airway management that will augment the course and allow for self-paced learning. In each module you will find learner focused tools designed to make the content stick such as:
- A self assessment quiz to get you started, and make your studying more focused.
- Bundled multi-media learning tools covering all aspects of the topic.
- Strategically placed bite sized notes, video clips, and slides to drive home and highlight core concepts.
- A quick “Summary in 5” podcast from our knowledge leaders for a quick review on the subway home.
- Guest posts and interviews with our airway experts from around the city, the country, and the world.
- Some surprising and entertaining bonus airway goodness (I don’t want to spoil it, you’ll just have to check it out).
This month our flagship module is the emergent cricothyroidotomy. This procedure presents many educational challenges: It’s high stakes, low-frequency and performed in the stressful failed airway situation. If you don’t think about it, prepare for it, or feel confident doing it, you will fail to perform this lifesaving maneuver in a timely manner. The goal of this module is to get you on the path to learning not just the procedure but all the tangible and intangible skills required to master the failed airway scenario.
But wait, that’s not all! Since airway education should be all year long, and come in all shapes and sizes, we have several new resources for you to get airway pearls straight to your mobile devices.
- A Flipboard magazine to collect all the latest posts and curated airway content in one place.
- A new “Airway Tools to Live By” page demonstrating new airway tools as we test them.
- You can follow along on the Airway Tools page or directly on our Instagram account.
The next module should be out next month but we’re understaffed, overworked, and underpaid so be patient as we bring new content to you at regular intervals.
In the meantime. May the airway be ever in your favor!